The Sundance Kid

 There’s been a lot of naming conversations going on lately, about whether people liked their name or their kids’ names, but I have a different question:

Who were you named after? A grandmother, a favorite aunt, a sandwich, a dog?

According to story #1 (there are two, as nothing is ever simple in our family), I was named after Robert Redford’s daughter. My pregnant mom was at the doctor waiting for an appointment. At the time, the plan was to name me Tiffany. (No offense to any Tiffanys out there, but this is so NOT my personality.) But, my mom read a magazine article about Redford, who mentioned his daughter Shauna…and the rest is history.

But! That’s not the whole story. A few years ago, I was talking with my mom about this and she contradicted her very own story with story #2: “I was going through checks at work (she worked in accounting at Target), and I saw a check with the name Shauna and thought it was pretty. So that’s how you were named.”

Right. I completely made up my own story about being named after Robert Redford’s daughter because I was ashamed of the truth. Which is that I was named after someone who owed Target money. Whatever.

Wait, that actually seems totally appropriate.

Anyway, who (or what) are you named after?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Streetrunner

Political Upheaval